Thursday, October 19, 2006

DSLR Part 1

I am in holiday mood, preparing myself to go to Melbourne during this coming DepaRaya Celebration. I have even promoted myself from a Point and Shoot (P&S) Camera user to a Digital SLR hoping to capture some good photos. I have been to some nice places and having good photos to remember of it makes a hell difference. Some might argue that its does not matter as its all in the memory. I would like to share my experience in the process of deciding

As we grow older our memory start to fade away. One day you might think that someone left hand is your wife left hand or even better some 6-foot tall, 40-26-36 blonde in the poster near your bedroom is your wife rather than the lady that sleep beside you with her facial mask on. So the best way to remind us is with a good set of photos. Although some might say as long as the photo is viewable is enough. Maybe my expectation is higher as I do not want to be reminded of a place in which I have been and enjoyed tremendously with the same quality I seen from our daily newspaper or the quality of what you see when we open our window everyday since early of this month, hazy…

Who do not like to open up your photo album or your digital image in your computer and saw a National Geographic photo popping up? Raise your hand or legs or some other thing else that can be raised (For guys only, hahaha)? However sometimes expectation and reality is a total different thing. We are just mere day-to-day nerds who sit and face the idiot screen for hours daily, what do we know about camera? When I decided to jump over, that’s where the headache and nightmare starts. There are 3 brands of Digital SLR Sony, Canon and Nikon to choose from and tons of technical camera jargon that comes my way. The 3 brands I mention falls into the category that I aim for which are at least 10-mega pixels. I am the type who likes resolutions.

Words like spot metering, partial metering, evaluative metering, flash filled, exposure compensation, flash compensation, mirror locked, sharpness, contrast, RGB, SRGB, E TTL II, depth of field and tons more. I guess the problem is we are not rich hence we need to ensure that we buy a good one. Actually I have an after thought, will talk about it at the end.

So after weeks of crawling the net, I have finally decided Canon 400D is the camera to go for. Lets put the $$$ issue aside as I believe although I am not rich but I am the type who is doing quite ok and do not mind to splurge out some blood money to buy something in which I think could enhance or increase my happiness level. So I finally brought it a week ago and I have been playing around with it. Actually if I decide to buy Nikon D80, I do not think I could buy it even I have the money as it seems it has been an elusive camera, most of the stores that I went to say that they do not have any stock.

To be continue....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

photos leh...

my colleague was looking at D80 too but too bad also hardly can get stock in KL....

Chan Kok Kuen said...

D80 got stock but limit. I am a Nikon fan, but I would not say that you made a bad choice. I have had my D70s since March and no regret getting a DSLR. Think of it that you have graduated from using those compact cameras.

Next thing you have to learn up is Photoshop.Using photoshop is like putting Ajinomoto to your food, spice the photos up.

Best of luck in your new camera. Have fun with it but do bring along the compact Casio camera of your along when you are on holiday. It does comes in handy.

Chio

Chan Kok Kuen said...

Ahh, you managed to post 2 photos from your 400D. Great, I would be waiting for mroe photos to be posted.

Wuching said...

hey! when ur down here dun forget to say hi to me! contact me @ wuchingofthewhills@gmail.com!!!

SooHK said...

LeeCS, posted 2 photo(s) already at my photo blog.

Kok Kuen, I have actually searched everywhere in Low yat, Sungai Wang, Pertama Complex...D80 is not available. Same goes for the 18-200 Vr lens..Oh yeh photoshop, cannon has a DPP software to play around with. Its quite good, can adjust a lot of things...

Wuching, will do....

Chan Kok Kuen said...

You can try buying the D80 online form www.shashinki.com. It's a Malaysian guy selling thing over the net. So far I have bought a remote control and tripod from the site. Check it out, you may find something that you want from there.
The 18-200VR lens is about RM2,700 to RM2,900-00. I found one in stock at Fotodata at Mid Valley

Chan Kok Kuen said...

The above comments wre from me..

SooHK said...

Kok Kuen, thanks for the info. Too bad now I am a Canon user already. I bought most of my camera related items, like lens, filter from this shopt called Boeing at sungai wang plaza, same floor as the main door. I think the price is reasonable. I am looking for the SB800 for a friend. Over there is RM1300 card price but no stock...

U Khao Yai Resort at Khao Yai, Thailand

Room and surrounding view of the resort #travel #khaoyai #Thailand #asia