Sunday, September 18, 2005

Update Responsibility - Who is this handsome?

I took a photo of my colleague son when he is just a month old, refer to my previous post, who is this handsome? . I actually took a few photos of him in my last trip but it’s a bit blur as it was quite dark and he was moving a lot. I did not use the flash as I am afraid it will spoil his eyes. I managed to take a few good one of him yesterday.

I am still undecided whether its “wise” to become a parent. I am not sure if I up to it. If I am ready to take up another responsibility, one that require a life time commitment. One that will later on will make life confusing. A lot of us are brought up to be a responsible son, brother, husband, father, grandfather, employee, employer, debtor and etc. We always have multiple “hats” to wear. There are times you will need to be a good father and when you step into the office you will need to be a responsible employee. Sometimes this responsibilities cross each other path and one got to decide which one has higher priority.

How does one decide which “hat” is more important? Some might argue if I could not become a good employee, hence I could not become a good husband, father and etc as I might not be able to bring in the needed $$$ to become one. Does that means we have decided that $$$ is more important? This basically comes back to the basic argument that we always had, is money capable of buying and substituting things like love, health, time and etc. Money definitely could buy us a big house but can it fill the house with laughter, warmth, lively chatter and etc. Money could provide our children with a better head start likes a better education, experience and etc. Nowadays this thing is not cheap.

Sounds confusing? What should we do? I am not sure but one thing I am sure, nothing can beat to hear the laughter, to touch, to feel, to experience, to see one son and daughter grows up. To friends and colleague, this is my gift to you; do not miss this experience as money could not turn back the clock. One could not press the reverse button to see the first smile from your child, the first step, the first time they say daddy, poh, mum, mea, their first cut, their first tooth and etc. Try this, after reading this go and pick up your children and tickle them, make them laugh, that laughter, that smile, the warmth of your child in your embrace. Or go over and touch your wife, embrace her, touch her cheek, her hand, what do you get? Can the coldness of the computer keyboard replace that? Can the heartless boss of yours do that? I salute those who manage to juggle all these responsibilities and for those who have yet to, I support you all the way...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, cute!!! you know, i think there's an instinct that lets you know when you are ready...like adiejin said, can't wait to see your soohk junior!

SooHK said...

Totoro, oh welcome, yeap he looks cute...

Adiejin, ummm wait and see first ....hahaha

Chesca, I think so, its natural process....

Monica said...

OH MY GOSH HOW ADORABLE!!!!! what a cutie!!!

MyOrangeSweater said...

Frankly, I am not into kids, I'd rather rescue more strays, and have them look into your eyes and silently tell you "Thank you" in their very own language.

Too much responsibility and stress raising kids ... not sure if I can handle that. I will stick to my 2 cats ...

Bkworm said...

He's so cute!! Makes me want to 'work' harder for no. 3 ;) Sure it's a huge responsibility to be a parent but he or she will be worth it. Go for it, soohk!

Anonymous said...

Been saying this for many times or years ..... when can I get a niece or nephew ???

Anonymous said...

Hope to see a lovely baby at home soon ........

Selba said...

hmmm... well, as my opinion, don't make a baby just because everyone is asking when you are going to have one or because other people already have it and you don't.
As you already mentioned, there're so many responsibilities to race a child.
I might sound cynical because I think the world is already too crowded. I don't want to bring an innocent soul to this world to face the cruel & hard life except I'm very sure that I can provide a good & secure life. The world is getting more scary than before, with all kind of diseases and natural disasters, beside people become more individualistic.
I hate those people who only make babies to proof to the society that they can have children or because of to full fill the society's requirement, next they just left their kids with nanny/servant at home from dawn until night. Then they make up with their kids in the weekends (if they still have time to spend) with every material things and turn them as a spoil brat.
Oh.. and NEVER ever think if we have children then when we become old, we have our children that will take care of us. These days, children don't care and appreciate their parents, they will send their parents directly to nursing house and even don't give a visit at all.

richwhiteboy said...

He is very cute and handsome! By the way, judging from your "thoughts and ideas," I think you would make a very good father.

MyOrangeSweater said...

I agree with Selba, totally!

SooHK said...

Monica, he is very cute..

sis, yeap you are still not tired yet...hahaha

Selba and lynne, actually a lot of relatives has been asking me the question when will I have junior Soo for 7 years. Some say that I am very qualify financially to have one or two kids but I have yet to have any as compare to those who is not but already have 2 or 3 kids. I totally agree with you that there are children that abandon their parents in nursing home or etc. They are some who don't, like me and most of us here (I guess). Actually that thought of hoping my children will take care of me when I am sick or accompany me when I am old did come across my mind but it is not the main thing. There are numerous variable in life that no one could foresee...

Richwhiteboys, thanks

Jo Kontan said...

Hello Soo,

Nike cakap apa? Just Do It.

Really, One can only plan, but how it come up, we really do not know. I think.

SooHK said...

Jokontan, I can talk and blog but I could not do it....hahaha yeap I agree god or fate has other plan for us...

U Khao Yai Resort at Khao Yai, Thailand

Room and surrounding view of the resort #travel #khaoyai #Thailand #asia