Friday, August 26, 2005

What were you like

I got tagged by adiejin.

20 Years Ago: (1985 - I was 18)
I was fresh from school. My butt was still hot from seating in those old wooden stools when I started to work as a Trainee Draughtsman. This year was my first year in the survey office. Those were the days where I was out on the fields, carrying loads of equipment to just survey a piece of land or roads. The days whereby I hammer down screws on the streets, paint it, sit around watching the world goes by and I was back for lunch in the house before 2 pm. I was also driving my old car which is a mini manor aka Flintsone car.

10 Years Ago: (1995 - I was 28)
The previous 10 years is fill with events. My mom dies, I shifted house, give away my dog to SPCA and etc. When my life reaches this point in time, I was flying in and out from Thailand frequently. It was fun, my first overseas assignment in my current company. It was also the first for my company hence the benefit was quite good. This is the year where I catch a glimpse of my wife in Bangkok. I was the tester that conducted a programming test for potential employees. My company will screen them by groups.

5 Years Ago: (2000 - I was 33)
I went to Switzerland for 2 weeks, spent one of the most memorable vacation ever. I went there as a sick and worn out “puppy” but came back as a rejuvenate and I can kill a few tigers human. I was in a local project in one of the pioneer bank for Islamic Banking where I could see the Reformasi activities for almost a year right in front of the High Court building. My wife was with me in the same project. The year, I bought my current car which is still running fine until now, touch wood.

3 Years Ago: (2002 - I was 35)
I was in a Jakarta. I was involved in a turn key project for the biggest bank in Indonesia, which I have come to regret. I witness the 9/11 in a hotel in Jakarta. This is a project whereby I almost suffocated with work. My team was planned with 7 to 8 members (including me). I ran with only 2 (including me) for almost 4 months. I scream for help but the answer I got is “coming” same as when you ask the noodle vendor about your orders.

Last Year: (2004 - I was 37)
In the early part of the year I was enjoying myself, there is a trip which I started from flying to Bangkok to Hong Kong and then I spent few days with my father, sister and my wife in a space of 2 weeks in Langkawi. It was my last vacation I have with my Dad. In the 3rd quarter of the year I was diagnosed with Kidney cancer and after 2 months plus my dad passed away suddenly. My life was totally changed from a 210 lbs elephant to a 165 lbs quite ok looking guy. My eating habit transformed from frequent KFC to steam fish and vegetables only. I started this blog after the tusnami.

This Year: ( 2005 - I am 38 )
This year is the year whereby my wife moves into the Bangkok house. Money was going out like running water from a pipe. I am still sticking to a strict diet and I have gone through 3 follow up checks. Occasionally I went out and dine but its in organic eatery or eatery that does not use MSG. And so far everything is fine although now I am on medication for “Heart Burn” which was diagnosed after an endoscope. Just got my increment and it’s the worst so far after 12 years in the company. I guess it could be that the economy is bad or finally they realise that I could no longer contribute as I used to. That is fact of life as I am now under the deadwood category.

Next Year:
To drive a above Rm140K car and still breathing. If I could find a nice place to stay, I will buy it.

10 Years From Now:
I hope I am still alive and enjoying my fruits of labour.

13 comments:

k.t.x said...

dude, u r a real survivor.....survivor survives.

6m dollah man.

k.t.x said...

emm, not only u survive, u excel in lotsa things too huh? great, kip it up.

Anonymous said...

3 years ago: i was a bum with no idea of what to do in life.

this year: i excelled (and will excel) in every aspect of my life.

Monica said...

you will be alive WAY over 50 years from now!!!! :)

c o n s u e l a said...

hi...

thanks for coming by my page :)
it was fun reading your post...

wanna trade links? :)

Selba said...

don't worry... I believe that you can actually write the '20 years' from now, chaiyo :)

richwhiteboy said...

Life is about the highs and the lows, the good times and the bad.

I go with the flow these days, one day at a time.

Unknown said...

yooo what car do u plan to get?
RM140k....can get a camry..or accord 2.0 liao...

but no need to spend so much on car lah...ask company to get u one hehehehe

still got increment? eeeeee i am still waiting...deadwood no way!! u remembered that u still a v12 eventhough one piston went missing liao...
dont play play... kekekeke

thepattycakes said...

!!

you and lynne.. both so successful!
haha.
wanna grow up and be like you guys!
earn big bucks and drive nice cars!! :P

SooHK said...

Keatix, thanks I hope I could survive. Everyone here is a survivor. I am just a going to 40's guy, hoping to be in a going to 50's guy..

Chesca, oh hope you continue to do so...

Monica, thanks...

Consuela, added you into my blog roll... I follow adiejin links on this tag to yours, your blog is fun....

Selba, still writing in this blog... not sure hahaha.... maybe gone out of idea...to do post anything.

Richwhiteboy, yeap totally agree, I am trying to do the same, one day at a time..

LeeCS, not sure...yet depends on the mood also, hahaha saw camry 2007 model in a spyshot, looks pretty sporty... funny to say that on a toyota model... hahaha. I am not sure is my additional RmXX.XX is increment or not, hahaha. I have yet to get my payslip. In your context, I could be a ferari that have a lot of paint scratch, hahaha...

Pat, I think Lynne is more successful. I am just right in the middle. I am happy with all the things I have and could buy. Lynne, is already living the dream on the high end... hahaha what say you lynne..

SooHK said...

Adiejin, I agreed with you, success is not measure of what you drive, wear or watch and etc but is being human... Thanks ...

MyOrangeSweater said...

soohk: Success is for each to measure lah, I think I gave myself ridiculous goals to reach, hahaha. I think you are a very successful, well-traveled, and wonderful man, seriously!! Keep it up, man!

SooHK said...

Lynne, aiyah I am so so, I think I have enjoy most things in life already. I am not that greedy hahaha... Thanks woman... hahaha

U Khao Yai Resort at Khao Yai, Thailand

Room and surrounding view of the resort #travel #khaoyai #Thailand #asia