Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Happy Deepavali

To those who celebrate deepavali, I wish them Happy Deepavali. I guess those who are from another town would have “Balik Kampong” (travels back to hometown in English) due to long stretch of holiday and is now enjoying a cup of coffee in a KopiTiam made the traditional way and reading newspaper while listening to some bird at the background happily chirping away.

I remember the hot burning stove which uses coal to boil water was also used to make “Roti Bakar” (Toast Bread). The water will be poured onto a bag that contains the coffee powder that acts a filter. It kinda looks like a socks connected to a stick. All the coffee juice will slowly leak down from the bag onto the cup. My cousin who is now in their 50’s still loves to goes back to the same old shop that prepare this way. They say it taste differently. They will actually take the time to travel for a few kilometres in the morning to just pack them back and enjoy in the house.

I have always been a city boy but I have travelled before to Penang, Ipoh and Melaka and have taste some of those famous food such as Penang Char Kuey Teow, Ipoh Hor Fun and Special Chicken rice ball. I considered these as real classic Hawkers food that can brings out the saliva in me when I talked about them. So for those who is now in their hometown, drink all those coffee for me and of course enjoy all those delicious food on my behalf. If you are brave enough light up some fireworks, I think the police do not mind as long as you do not burn down any house. Happy Deepavali…..

3 comments:

PhotoCrazy said...

Yum yum.. nice food there.. done it.. want to do it again.. I guess age caught up with me.. hehehe..

Selba said...

How nice that M'sia is celebrating Deepavali. People in Indonesia usually "pulang kampung or mudik" during the hari raya lebaran. Jakarta is very empty right now. No traffic jam at all :)

The food that you are mentioning sounds pretty yummy, I think I should go to M'sia to try those food, hehehe

SooHK said...

Photocrazy, I really remember when I ate the chicken rice bola in Melaka...wow..its an experience...

Selba, you could look at my photoblog. I post some pictures of food that my sister eat...

U Khao Yai Resort at Khao Yai, Thailand

Room and surrounding view of the resort #travel #khaoyai #Thailand #asia