Friday, June 10, 2005

National Anthem Sang from the Golden/Durian mouth

For the past week, I have seen a lot of news in regards to singing or broadcasting the national anthem in events, in cinema and etc. I remember during school days, we will start of the day by flying the flag and singing the national anthem at the start of the assembly. There are students who sang or shall I say shout and there are some who sang as though there are going for Malaysia idol. And of course there are some who just move their lips ala Milli Vanilli and some who will just does not open the mouth at all (like me).

Its not that I am not proud to be a Malaysian, I am just not that kind who will open the mouth to sing. I remember even during those days when Karaoke was like everyday life and the “in thing, I still did not really went to any session. A lot of session were organize, some during annual dinner, some during gathering between school friends but I have not really actively participate in one. Most of the time I will be just sitting there and maybe once in a while I will “Hoo Hoo”, “Wah Wah” joining in the chorus.

I was told by my mom that I am a bit slow to start talking. I am not sure at what age but my mom said that she almost seeks professional help as she thought that I might be mute. HaHaHa. In my family circle I was known to be the quiet type. I am the type that will prefer to listen than talk. I was known as the golden or durian mouth. You know the type that once open the mouth something remarkable will comes out or for some that try to coax me for reaction is like trying to open a durian. Even now after 18 years of working I prefer to write rather than call or talk. I guess I am still an old shy goat.

In Thailand they will actually broadcast the national anthem before the actual movie starts, after all the advertisement. The audience are required to stand up and sing it. The non-resident is also required to stand up to show respect. My wife will actually sang it and I notice most of the audience do. At the end of the anthem most of the audience will also bow. I remember during my younger days, our cinema practises the same thing but somehow it was abolished.

In Thailand, they will also normally broadcast the national anthem at 6pm on the TV and also in public place. I remember the first time I was caught by surprise when I was in a food court. All of a sudden most of the people around me seem to slow down what they are doing and some stops. I realise that the national anthem was playing on the public speaker. Actually it does not make any difference whether the cinema plays the anthem or not, I am still a Malaysian, I am proud to be one.

7 comments:

MyOrangeSweater said...

I can still sing the Singaporean National anthem, but I just don't bloody understand it!! And I am sure I have made plenty pronouciation mistakes too. Last time, parents always make us stand up and sing along wherever and whenever the anthem was played, and my sis would go "ma ma ma, ju ju" all the way.

You are stingy about opening your mouth? Good that you are not stingy about blogging, otherwise we won't get to read great stories from you! :D

SooHK said...

Lynne, thanks ya for the compliment, your stories is better. Blogging and surfing maniac, that what my sis said...

Jumbled Mind, yeap you are right.. now I can even hum out the thai national anthem.... hahaha

Anonymous said...

thnx for the randomness props

Lrong Lim said...

I once rode a bike at Krabi when a Thai officer shouted at me during the national anthem... heck man, how in the world was I to know the Thai national anthem?

Anonymous said...

Same thing goes here in Philippines, but they only play the National Anthem at the last play of a movie in a movie theatre. But everyone do stand up, and stop whatever they're doing. yah, Philippines has lots of "armed" men around these days, but not on each and every places.. it's the threats.. that's what it's all about. But it's still safe. Weird huh?

Anonymous said...

their radio station too, numerous times a day. i however, has no qualms with it...err, perhaps i m bias on everything thai. 555!
keatix

SooHK said...

idk wat I am anymore, you welcome on the props.

Irong, Oh is that so. I have so far never encounter that except for some weird looks and stares..

Rhea, wow get to know that another place does the same as thailand. Still safe, I got a malaysian friends also that marry a philipines, he say so far so good..

Keatix, I have no problem with it always I guess after you get used to it...

U Khao Yai Resort at Khao Yai, Thailand

Room and surrounding view of the resort #travel #khaoyai #Thailand #asia