Thursday, June 23, 2005

Petaling Street and its surrounding buildings

When you walk around the area around Petaling Street, what does your eyes and mind apprehend first? The busy intersection? That contains throngs of cars that head towards a destination that the driver steer it to. The pollution? Caused by smoke emit from the cars and buses. The eatery? Rows of rows of shops that is selling mixed rice, curry rice, mcdonalds, KFC and etc. Shops? China town, with its parade of open air shops that sell anything from DVD, handbags, drinks, clothes, souvenirs and etc.

As for me, I am interested in the architecture of some of this building. Some is constructed way back in the early 1900’s. It has a very distinct and unique style. I am not an expert and I do not claim that I have knowledge in architecture but I am attracted to the aura that it project to its surrounding. Some carry the distinct style of our past government which was headed by the British. The current government has actually realised the value in maintaining this building as there are effort in progress or has implemented. Hence there are buildings which was torn down to its bare but the unique features found in the front of the building still remains. Below are some pictures that I have snapped up.









9 comments:

5xmom.com said...

hi soo
I am from Penang and I think the last time I went to chee cheong kai was like, 10 years ago. I notice they have those multi-colour buildings. In Penang,we also got that. I wish the council will at least curb this because it is a waste to have those glorious colonial buildings painted yellow, green, purple, orange, siren blue....all next to each other! One day I blog about them and show you a photo. (at my Penang Faces blog)

Danny said...

Question? Are those pirated shop along Petaling Street still around? Last I heard they disappeared for no reason. Anyway, on a side note, you need to fix the linking of your comment box. It's popping up and changing the previous page to the comment thing.

Cheers. :)

Monica said...

wow I love the colorful buildings!!!!!

SooHK said...

5xmom, yeap I agree its a waste that it was drape in rainbow color. 6 years ago my friend who is a very good photographer wanted to document it down in photos but he did not, I guess it was too late. There is another beauty hidden, the old shops that still operates there. Shops that sell rattan, plastic water container and etc...

DannyFoo, yeap its still around. oh the comment box has some problem? I do not seems to have it... umm anyway its the blog.spot features that you can turn on to pop up. However I do experience the same thing that say in another site....

Monica, yeap very colorful.... I guess too colorful hahaha

MyOrangeSweater said...

I like those multi-colored buildings too, there are still some left in Singapore I think. I also like the patterns of the mosque (was it a mosque).

SooHK said...

Lynne, its not a mosque, its the high court building....

Lrong Lim said...

Beautiful buildings indeed... hope they will be with us for long...

letti said...

what wonderful photographyt!!!!!

SooHK said...

Lrong, I really hope so...

Letti, thanks...

U Khao Yai Resort at Khao Yai, Thailand

Room and surrounding view of the resort #travel #khaoyai #Thailand #asia