Thursday, November 02, 2006

Parks and Gardens in Melbourne

What surprises me when I was in Melbourne, is the number of public parks or gardens available. During my trip, I stayed at Mercure Hotel Melbourne located at Spring Street. And right opposite it there are 2 parks, Treasury and Fitzroy Garden. And if you pass by it during lunchtime on working days you could see a lot of office worker basking on the greens enjoying the sun. We are the opposite; we will hide from the sun. Asian despises sun like Dracula. We look at Sun as a weapon that was created probably by the cosmetic company to create enough wrinkles for us to start buying their products like moisturizer, cleanser, anti aging cream and etc.

What so great about parks and gardens in Melbourne? I personally like the flowers, trees and occasionally sculptures or statue, which stretch my imagination. I love the flowers because of its color that I could not find in Malaysia. I believe it could be due to the difference of our weather here and Melbourne. Their colors are naturally more saturated and highly contrast. Its sculptures and statue is uniquely different, pieces of art designed and created for the majority of the public and not solely for those who study art.

Generally so far the parks in Melbourne are nicely maintained. I seldom or I did not see any overfilled rubbish bins or waste on the ground. There is only one thing in which it was robbed of its glory. When I was there, water restriction was announced hence there are fountains that were stripped to its bare. No sparkling water spurting out and catching the sunlight, creating man made rainbow…and I guess the grass is always greener on the other side no matter what.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

enjoy ur trip there...
i still missed my stay there in year 2000...
Bali....

SooHK said...

LeeCS, yeap quite enjoyable but I think still below Swiss. I am planning to New Zealand...so want to join? Probably in end of april or so

U Khao Yai Resort at Khao Yai, Thailand

Room and surrounding view of the resort #travel #khaoyai #Thailand #asia